Give your space an energetic shower by smudging! When smudging a space, plant material is burned, and the fragrance of the smoke fills and purifies the surrounding environment. The practice of smudging is thought to energetically cleanse a space so positive energy can be invited in. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to purify your own space by smudging.
1) Grab a smudging material – such as a bundle of sage, sweet grass, or palo santo.
2) Place it on any heat-proof burning surface, like an Abolone Shell.
3) Light the bundle by holding a flame to it until it begins to smoke. If a flame begins to form, gently shake the bundle or blow until it is just embers and smoke. You may have to re-light the bundle a few times during this process.
4) Once it is smoking, use your free hand to direct the smoke over your body from your feet, up to your head, then back down again. As you do this, visualize the smoke taking away with it any negative, dark energy from your life.
5) Once you have smudged your body, begin to move through your space. Wave the smoke into all corners, across doorways, and into dark spaces.
6) Once the space is cleared, allow the bundle to either burn out or gently press it out in your heat-proof container. Ideally, you should try to use a new smudge stick for each cleansing.
Wondering when you should smudge your aura and/or space? Here are some ideal times:
- During times of stress, sadness, or anger
- Before activities that require focus and mental clarity
- Before and after a guest enters your home
- Before and after a yoga, meditation, or healing session
- After an argument or any illness
- Upon returning home from crowded situations
- When you move into a new living space
- When you begin a new job or start your own business
The beauty of smudging is that it can be done at any time, as often as you need. Happy smudging!